Sunday 23 April 2017

Week 16: A visit to Keukenhof

Hello from Germany!!!! jks still in Belgium.

Awesome I hope the team does well this year and so far they are! [LCI Rams Rugby] Ya the parcel will come but they won't bring it to me until the next zone conference which is like weeeeeeks away but thanks in advance!  Adventures... Keukenhof!!! It was so so so good! I didn't get to see Elder Nielsen yet though, soon hopefully!

Questions:
1.  Did you go to Keukenhoff? Any where else?
2.  When are transfers?
3.  Do you know what they are going to do with the Branch and missionaries in the area? Will they move you out? When will you know?
4.  What is the most common type of dog you have seen in Belgium?
5.  Are still playing soccer in the mornings?
6.  What topic are you studying in your personal studies?

1. Yup and I'll explain below.
2. Transfers aren't for another few weeeks. ER leaves for home May 3 though so sometime before that.
3. Ya we found out Saturday that our branch here is closing and we will have to go to church in Gent, sad but probs for the best.
4. haha the little ones that are called
5. ...Sometimes
6. The BOM haha I am almost done reading it again.
7. Ya they have 2 days of Easter here it is awesome.
8. Yes it looks great now haha.

So ya Keukenhof was lit. There were so many flowers! We slept over at the Sint-Niklaas apartment so we didn't have to travel as far. We still had to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to walk to the station because buses don't run that early. Then we took a train to Antwerpen where we met the rest of our zone and took a massive double decker bus to the Netherlands. The drive was so long but it was worth it. We went to a chapel where we had a conference with another zone and then we all travelled to Keukenhof which is another 45 mins north. It was insane there with flowers and tourists. After that we all got back on the bus and traveled back home which took 5.5 hrs. Ugh we got back home at like 11. Worth it though. I was taking so many pictures there, and my little camera does really good actually! (thanks Dad!) I also met Elder Mancer, he knows a lot of people from back home like the Baldersons. Matt called me a few days ago! I got to talk with him over the phone which was so nice. I didn't even know it was him at first then I realized and freaked out a little haha. Also on Saturday we had a dinner appointment with this family I love and they fed us ribs. Not just any ribs, homemade ribs that he was preparing and cooking for 3 days. They were so good, 3 different kinds and also minced lamb and chicken and homemade potato salad and also coleslaw, ugh it was dellicious! I also recieved my package from Gma! Shoutout to her for that! It was aweosme and just in time for Easter!

Love you bye

The Extra
Funny thing that happened was about a week ago when I was doing laundry I put all the dish rags in the kitchen.  ER picks one up and says, "you know this is a pillowcase right?" I did not, I asked him why he let me use it to dry my hands and dishes with it for 8 weeks and he said because he thought it was funny.  It was pretty funny, it also blew my mind.  I had no idea it was a pillowcase haha!

Well, you've heard that it rains a lot here and that is true but when it doesn't the birds still want to eat worms.  So what these smart birds do is go around in fields and they will stomp on the ground going in circles.  They do it because it makes the worms think that it is raining!  So the worms will come out and the bird gets their meal.  It's really interesting to watch and it's actually kind of cute watching them do their little dance of death.  Another cool thing is the ice cream trucks here.  Instead of playing music they drive around and when they see people they pull a rope which rings these big bells they have on the outside of their truck.  Then when they stop everyone can go buy their stuff.

A bit ago we helped a member move their dryer and washing machine to the second floor.  It wasn't very heavy and it wouldn't have been hard if the stairs in this country were built right!  All the stair cases here have no room.  They are usually really steep and the steps are short and tall.  So that made it difficult but we did it without denting the walls.

If you notice I think 2 weeks ago I have a photo with Elder G. Williams.  We were on exchanges and I stayed here in Brugge again.  EW is the replacement for Elder McConkie who was transferred out the last transfer.  He is one of our district leaders who serve in Brussels.  We had some fun, he has never served in Belgium before so he is still adjusting to the Dutch here.  So together we had a fun time figuring everybody out.  It's fun going on exchanges because I get to see and test my skills without ER, skills like navigating around and stuff.

We helped a member move a few weeks ago.  Well I did and ER went on splits with the ward mission leader and someone else.  ER went to an appointment we had and I went to help move.  Crazy time! We ended up having to do more work than we thought and I couldn't help any longer because we as missionaries have to be back at a reasonable time.  It turns out the ward member kept helping after he dropped me off and he was there until 4 in the morning! craziness.  So we brought him chocolates the next day to thank him for all the work he does.  He called us to say thanks and also to come eat them with him because we are only here for 2 years.  Such a nice guy! I found out my favourite chocolate here is the truffles! They are super good.  Their other chocolate here is also really good but I find Belgium shines when it comes to truffles.

Apparently when I was on exchanges in Brussels a long-time ago those 2 return sister missionaries thought I was "precious".  They told that to the Brussel Elders.  I say it's because I am but ER says everybody says that about greenies because they are just so innocent.

I miss music a lot but I found a band here that I am allowed to listen to, their name is "For King and Country".  They have a lot of really good songs.  I also like "Rend Collective" and "Kings Kaleidoscope".

We had a cool miracle a little bit ago. We went to this address thinking it was a less-active member.  Turns out she moved but the guy who answered the door is super nice and friendly.  We told him who we were and he said to come in and tell him more.  It was late so we said we would come another time so he agreed.  He was an Iranian guy and he was really polite to us, like I have never met anyone so polite ever, haha!  We went back for our appointment later in the week and it went really well!  He started off by telling us his whole life story.  It took like 30 mins.  He said he wanted us to get to know him.  He told us he has no friends and all his family is dead.  He's been trying to make friends for years but no one is nice enough.  He thought it would help if he learned Dutch, so he did and he speaks very well but it hasn't worked.  I felt so much love for him and just wanted to be his friend! He also told us about his desires to have a family and other life goals.  In that appointment it just really hit me how much the Gospel/church has helped my life and how it could help him.  I just wanted to share it all with him.  I really hope he becomes a member because he is awesome.  He told us that he will listen to all we have to say and if he feels that it is right and it makes him happy he will join the church.  So needless to say I am happy to be going back.

Scripture of the week is Alma 47, whole thing, what I think is cool, I love to look at this chapter as seeing Amalickiah as the devil trying to tempt Lehonti, and then seeing how that worked out.  Really cool and applicable to us.

Dutch word of the week is Hoe which is pronounced as who but means how, which can get really confusing.



















No comments:

Post a Comment