Monday 22 January 2018

Week 56: President Nelson, Biking, and a Windstorm

Well that is kinda sad I will be missing the Eagles in the super bowl… oh well. I'm sure they will win though. Too bad their good QB is injured. Anyway, I just can’t catch a break here in Alkmaar. After being hit with the sickness, I recovered and now this week I pulled my groin again… I was biking then the wheel popped so we went to the apartment and I got another bike to use. The pedal came off while I was riding it and I had to push it like a scooter which is when I hurt myself… so ya that was not fun. I fixed both bikes now. During the week we had to rely on public transport. The bus system here is really slow.

Both of our appointments for last Monday fell through. On Tuesday we had district meeting which Elder Crow and I taught. It went really well! We both feel great about it. The sisters made lunch afterwards which was great and we all got to talk and get to know each other. We were also able to go to a member's house to watch the President Nelson broadcast. That was cool to see, as well as the questions afterwards.

That night we also had ward council which was super interesting to sit in on because it is a bunch of old Dutch people talking with each other which, idk, is just so great. I loved it. We have such a loving and caring ward here, despite the average age of the ward being 70 (that is a real stat btw, it's been calculated…). So ya, we have an old branch but they are great.

On Wednesday the wind was super bad but not like Thursday. We had to bike a lot too. It sucked so bad! My legs were dead but we made it to all our places on time. We had a good appointment with this one investigator and we also found another one.

Thursday we got a text from the mission advising us to stay in our apartment until 3:00 pm when the wind would die down a bit. So we did our weekly planning session. We also had a dinner at familie Munster again. I love going there. I was able to speak some more Portuguese with her which she loves. They are a great family and we have a good time together. They also showed us pics and vids from things that the wind had done, port-a-potties being blown away and people too. It was crazy. There were so many trees on the ground.

Friday we got the bikes fixed up and did a lot of travelling. We had a lunch app and a dinner app. We ended up being an hour late to the dinner one cause our bus never came to take us to the train. Then we had to take another bus and we missed that and then got on the wrong one. In the end they came and picked us up. I felt so bad. But what was cool is I had actually met 2 of them before when I was in Brugge. It was great to talk again. We had a fun time.

Saturday we had a lot of time to find people so we traveled a bit to a near by dorpje and worked there. We found 2 new ones, really cool people too and young! We had no food so we went to McDonalds to eat, been a while since I've done that. Then we walked around the centrum and looked at some cool old buildings. Alkmaar is really beautiful.

Sunday, so yesterday we had church, then after wards we had a ward feast type thing and it was so good. There was a ton of food and it was fun to have all the members together.

Questions:
1.  How is the work in Alkmaar?
2.  Do you live in an apartment, house?  Will you take pictures for me?!
3.  Did you have many dinner appointments this week?  Did you eat herring yet, haha? (p.s. be sure to take pictures when you do!)

1. great! We have a good time up here!

2. little apartment. oh ya, I forgot to take pics…

3. ya, a lot. a few of them cancelled but it was not bad at all. no, I haven't, and I will definitely be taking pics.

that is all,

love lots elder fernhout


No comments:

Post a Comment