Monday 8 January 2018

Week 54: Overplaatsingen! Transferring to North Holland

Well this week was right packed full of things. Tuesday we had district pday in Den Haag. We went there to email then after went to the centrum to do a scavenger hunt. It was fun, there were 2 teams, ours won. We all met up back at the church and hung out and played some sports in the gym. We have so many good missionaries in our district and I like a lot of them. That night we came back and had dinner and got back into real missionary work. Wednesday Elder Ballard and I were picked up by Elder Van Der Put to help out again. So from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm we were running around the Netherlands moving stuff. We went first to the old sister apartment in Leiden and took out a couch and some other items. Then we drove to Rotterdam and Elder Ballard and I had to bring the couch up 4 floors to the top. It was not easy. Then we had to haul a bunch of things down. The apartment in Rotterdam Zuid is not that nice… glad I am not there, haha.

Then we went to Amsterdam to drop off a new washer there. I got to see Elder Furniss, it was nice to catch up a bit. There we had to carry the washer up only one floor. The apartment there is nice, I wouldn't mind being in the Amsterdam 4 man. Then we went to Delft to go to the Ikea there and pick up some cabinets and chairs and things. We took them to the Leiden apartment, then travelled back to Zoetermeer to drop off all the garbage we acquired at the dump here. Afterwards, we went to McDonalds and then home. What's cool is that I got to take a car from the office. That night we used it for the 3 appointments we had. So nice. We were allowed to take the car cause the next day, Thursday, we had to drive to Den Helder, a city way up north. We left at 7:30 am and got there a bit after 9:00 am. It was a fun drive just Elder Ballard and I. I miss driving so much, especially road trips! Thursday we moved a bunch of things out of an apartment in Den Helder and brought a lot of it to the apartment in Leiden and also built all the Ikea stuff we had brought there. Sorry if this is confusing, but ya we did a lot in those 2 days. Thursday we got home at like 6:00 pm. Solid day. We were so tired after 2 days of hard work. It was really fun to work alongside Elder Van Der Put and his wife though, they are great people.

On Friday I went on an exchange with the DL [district leader], Elder de Seil, he is from Suriname. He is a convert from age 19 and is the youngest of 13 siblings in his family total. He’s a cool dude. We had a busy day. First we went to the farm and did that for the first half the day. Afterwards we had lunch and planning.  Then that night we had a dinner appointment with a really cool member in the ward. He made some great dutch food for us.  We then had an appointment with this Polish lady scheduled but it fell though, she wasn’t home. Never is home, dangit.

That night though I didn't feel too good and we took it easy. I woke up at 12:00 am very sick. It was so awful. I went back to sleep but had to keep getting up throughout the night. I had such an upset stomach. That morning I was in so much pain and had to just cope with it. I stayed home the entire day. I was able to fall asleep for a bit which was nice. In 3 days I lost 5 kilograms…. Elder Occon gave me a blessing and that night I ended up feeling a lot better so that was nice. I was able to sleep too despite having slept during the day. I woke up Sunday morning with still some pain but was able to go to church. Still today I have a bad stomach. I still have no appetite and haven’t eaten really anything for over 2 days…oh well, I am on the up. [He suspects he came into contact with Ecoli at the farm and then afterwards ate oliebollen on the way home]

Saturday we got calls. I really wanted to stay in Zoetermeer, but it turns out I am leaving. I am going to the city of Alkmaar. It encompasses Den Helder. It is probably the biggest area in the mission. It is really remote but I am looking forward to it. It’s Elder Ballard’s baby [training] area, haha. What’s funny is that Occon is going to my baby area, Brugge, and is excited for that.  Elder Ballard is staying here and will be training.  He is also taking over “Ikea” duties.  Elder Balthar is going to Rotterdam Zuid. Oh, also I will be a district leader with Elder Crow, my new companion. Elder Crow is from Arizona and was in the same arrival group as Elders Ballard and Occon. On Sunday I was so sad to have to say goodbye to all the members. I really felt like I needed at least one more transfer here, but oh well. I took a bunch of pics with members that I will try to upload if I have time.

We are always setting goals but because we had to stay inside for New Years we used the time to set 1 year goals and 5 year goals. So yes, I have even more goals now.

Questions of the week:
1.  What is happening with transfers?!
2.  Did you work at the farm this week?
3.  Tell me how it went with your “Ikea” assignments.  What was it like driving?  You haven’t driven for over a year!
4.  What were your impressions of the other cities you travelled to?
5.  Are the Dutch good drivers?  Are they patient?
6.  How has the weather been?  Is it getting colder or warmer?  I’m looking forward to longer days.
7.  When did you find out that President Monson passed away?
8.  How is it going with the members of the ward?  How was church on Sunday?

1. I’m going to Alkmaar as a DL with Elder Crow.
2. Yup, I think that is why I got sick.
3. Crazy, I love driving, I miss it, it didn't feel weird though. It was nice and normal.
4. Amsterdam was really nice and so was Alkmaar when I drove through on the way to Den Helder. In Den Helder I saw the beach which I took a photo of. It is a really quiet city. Den Haag is really futuristic and advanced, opposite of Brugge.
5. For the most part ya, they also don't signal here though. They are more aggressive here which you have to be but that just means they don’t mind when you have to be, so ya I guess they are more patient. Crazy driving here though with bikes and scooters and other cars and people.
6. Getting warmer but today and yesterday were freezing. It is getting lighter out lately!
7. Right when everyone else knew. They sent a mission wide text out. I want to know who the new apostles will be, I hope one is Gary B. Sabin, he is such a good guy.  Oh we found out who the new mission prez here will be. He’s from Sint Niklaas in Belgium. He’s the dad of the guy who took Elder Furniss and I golfing. It is gonna be weird to have a native president.
8. Good, it was sad to leave, when you leave everyone tells you how much they miss you and it sucks. I really liked the members here. ugh.

Funny language things that have happened recently.

what I meant to say: wat doe je voor kerst? (what do you do for Christmas)

what they thought I said: wat doe je verkeerd? (what do you wrong (as in general))

that was rough. also this happened the other day.

what I meant to say: ik wil dokter worden (I want to become a doctor)

what they heard: ik wil dochter worden (I want to become a daughter)

that was awkward ahah... anyway that is all for this week.

hou doe elder fernhout







Driving to Den Helder


Saying goodbyes to the great ward members
The Van Der Puts





No comments:

Post a Comment